Monday, October 1, 2012

Hopefully Rupert Everett's ignorance is nurture not nature

So, who has not heard the bullshit that came out of, openly gay British star, Rupert Everett's mouth? Just for a recap here is the disrespectful commentary he gave to the London Sunday Times as cited by LGBTQ Nation.

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads."

“Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion."

“I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community.’"

“The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more.”

The person Everett refers to, in the statement, and agrees with is his mother. Meaning no disrespect to his mother and she does have a right to her opinion, I believe she is more than terribly wrong but the person I most pissed off at is Rupert Everett.

The sad part about this whole situation (like there is a good part) has nothing the do with downing families with two gay parents. The saddest part is that Everett does not understand he is a gay man that is showing disloyalty and bigotry towards his own people or at least it shows as much.

For me, I reference the black community and our struggles as a template to unity. Black people who did not see themselves as part of the community, to which they naturally belong, was seen as "Uncle Toms". I know that term throws people of center  but that is keeping the conversation 100%.

Rupert Everett does not see himself as part of a community from his actual statement but he does not understand there is more than one person in a community. He does not have the monopoly on the natural characteristic of being gay. He may not feel connected to the gay community but he is part of it when you are "openly gay" as a show of pride which, from his statement, has very little of along with self-respect and self-esteem.

When a gay man can say that the worse thing in any scenario involves being gay and does not understand that he disrespects himself in the process; there is a disconnect and strong issues not being dealt with in that individual.

The way I look at it, if you don't want to be a part of the solution, don't be the problem and don't show the rest of the world how broken the gay community can be by destroying your gay brother. Rupert Everett is being the devil so his dues are paid up.

No comments:

Post a Comment